The 14th Julio V. Santiago, M.D. Memorial Lecture
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Medicine Grand Rounds
Malvern Clopton Amphitheater
Mark A. Atkinson, Ph.D.
American Diabetes Association Eminent Scholar for Diabetes Research
Jeffrey Keene Family Professor
Director, Diabetes Institute at UF Health
Department sof Pathology and Pediatrics
The University of Florida
"Lessons From the Human Pancreas: Rewriting the Textbooks on Type 1 Diabetes"
Legends (clockwise from top left)
- DRC Past Director & Associate Director M. Alan Permutt, M.D. with Washington University School of Medicine Diabetes Day 2011 guest speaker Michael W. Schwartz, M.D., University of Washington.
- A single adult human islet demonstrating proliferating b- and non-b-cells. Paraffin section of intact islet. Ki-67 (red), DAPI (blue) and insulin (green) (image courtesy of the McDaniel Laboratory).
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine Diabetes Day 2011 Poster Presentation.
- Lipid droplets stained with Nile Red from the fat tissue of a fruit fly larvae that has been eating a high sugar diet. The dark areas are the nuclei of individual cells (image courtesy of the Baranski Laboratory).
- Foam cells (image courtesy of the Bernal Laboratory).
- Vascular cross section (Image courtesy of the Bernal Laboratory).
- Adult human islets dispersed into single cells demonstrating proliferating and non-proliferating b-cells. Ki-67 (red), DAPI (blue) and insulin (green) (Image courtesy of the McDaniel Laboratory).
Please acknowledge the Washington University DRC in your publications as follows: "Supported by DRC, Grant No. P30 DK020579"